CIS Policies and Procedures
80 – Administration
Policy Number: 80.30
Name: Personal Information Protection Policy
Origin: Board of Directors
Approved: August 2004
Approval Process: Board of Directors
80.30.1 Commitment to Protecting Personal Information
Canadian Interuniversity Sport is committed to protecting the privacy of the student-athletes and others who participate in its events and use its services. This Personal Information Protection Policy (the “Policy”) describes the policies and practices of Canadian Interuniversity Sport with respect to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information. The Policy may be updated from time to time, with updates approved by Canadian Interuniversity Sport Board of Directors to reflect developments in practices, new technology or the law. Updates will be made available in the same ways as the Policy. Our collection, use and disclosure of personal information will be governed by the version of this Policy in effect at the time.
80.30.2 Personal Information
For the purposes of this Policy, personal information is any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual. Personal information includes, for example, name, date of birth, home address, telephone number, email address, health and medical information, or interests of an individual. Personal information does not include the name, position or business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization.
This Policy applies to personal information of student-athletes, donors and other individuals who have expressed an interest in Canadian Interuniversity Sport or have participated in an event sponsored or organized by Canadian Interuniversity Sport. The personal information that Canadian Interuniversity Sport generally collects and uses includes: name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, banking or credit card information (card number, type and expiry date). From student-athletes, the Canadian Interuniversity Sport also collects information related to the student-athlete's involvement with Canadian Interuniversity Sport, such as their date of birth, weight, height, citizenship, health and medical information, academic information (including transcripts), athletic history and the student-athlete's photograph.
Canadian Interuniversity Sport is responsible for all personal information under its custody or control, including information that it may transfer to a third party for processing. The Director of Finance and Administration of Canadian Interuniversity Sport has been appointed as Privacy Officer for Canadian Interuniversity Sport. The Privacy Officer may delegate day-to-day responsibility for administration of this Policy to other employees but the Privacy Officer remains accountable for Canadian Interuniversity Sport's handling of personal information.
The Privacy Officer may be contacted at: 801 King Edward Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 6N5, 1-613-562-5670, ext. 24.
Canadian Interuniversity Sport is responsible for personal information sent to third parties who provide services to Canadian Interuniversity Sport. Canadian Interuniversity Sport requires any such third parties to use the personal information only for the purposes for which it is provided to them, and to protect the privacy of the personal information in accordance with privacy laws and in a manner that is consistent with this Policy.
Canadian Interuniversity Sport stores and processes personal information in Ottawa, Canada.
80.30.4 Information Received from Other Sources
Canadian Interuniversity Sport receives personal information from Canadian Interuniversity Sport members who collect that information from student-athletes who wish to participate in sporting events, programs, meetings, conferences, workshops, seminars or other events organized or sponsored by Canadian Interuniversity Sport (hereinafter “Canadian Interuniversity Sport events”). When Canadian Interuniversity Sport does so, we ask the organization to provide only personal information of individuals who have consented to the sharing of their information. If Canadian Interuniversity Sport is contacting you based on information received from a Canadian Interuniversity Sport member, we will ask you whether you wish to receive further communications from Canadian Interuniversity Sport and we will respect your wishes. Canadian Interuniversity Sport will explain at that time the consequences of declining to receive further communications.
80.30.5 PURPOSES FOR COLLECTING AND USING PERSONAL INFORMATION
220.127.116.11 Student-athletes participating in Canadian Interuniversity Sport events.
Canadian Interuniversity Sport collects and uses personal information of student-athletes participating in Canadian Interuniversity Sport sanctioned events for the following purposes:
• to ensure compliance with Canadian Interuniversity Sport regulations, including Canadian Interuniversity Sport Eligibility and Drug Education & Control Regulations;
• to process registration with Canadian Interuniversity Sport and for specific Canadian Interuniversity Sport sanctioned Events;
• to carry out the organization and administration of Canadian Interuniversity Sport Events;
• to advise student-athletes about Canadian Interuniversity Sport Events and other events of reputable organizations that may be of interest to them;
• to contact student-athletes for the purpose of conducting surveys relating to the quality of Canadian Interuniversity Sport Events;
• to honour student-athletes for athletic and academic excellence through special awards and student-athlete profiles;
• to provide the names of attendees of Canadian Interuniversity Sport Events to all organizations who participate in a Canadian Interuniversity Sport event and to allow such organizations to advise attendees of any side meetings, symposia or other activities related to the event;
• to invite student-athletes to future Canadian Interuniversity Sport Events that are likely to be of interest to them.
Canadian Interuniversity Sport collects donations from individuals who wish to support the organization. For the purpose of such donations Canadian Interuniversity Sport collects the name, the contact information and the credit card information of the donor. This information is used only to process and administer donations and issue tax receipts.
80.30.6 DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
18.104.22.168 Canadian Interuniversity Sport discloses personal information of a student-athlete in the following circumstances:
• To streamline the administration and registration process for student-athletes wishing to participate in Canadian Interuniversity Sport sanctioned Events, Canadian Interuniversity Sport occasionally discloses personal information to its members (e.g. the post-secondary institutions of learning attended by the student-athlete) and to other athletic associations or organizations that are involved in or associated with Canadian Interuniversity Sport Events, such as the International University Sports Federation. Once information has been passed to Canadian Interuniversity Sport members (or to any other organization in accordance with this Policy), it is no longer in the control of Canadian Interuniversity Sport and becomes subject to the privacy practices and procedures of the recipient organization.
• For the purposes of administering its Doping Control Program, Canadian Interuniversity Sport discloses personal information of student-athletes to the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport. Student-athletes wishing to participate in Canadian Interuniversity Sport sporting events or competitions cannot withdraw their consent to such a disclosure. If a student-athlete withdraws his or her consent to such a disclosure, Canadian Interuniversity Sport cannot determine the student-athlete's eligibility and therefore the student-athlete cannot participate in the sporting event or competition.
• Canadian Interuniversity Sport occasionally discloses the name, photograph, academic institution, program and year of study, sport(s), athletic and academic accomplishments and interests, and career information of student-athletes to the media and the general public (via Canadian Interuniversity Sport' website and other Canadian Interuniversity Sport publications) for the purpose of honouring student-athletes for athletic and academic excellence through awards and other honours. Such information is also made available to the general public on Canadian Interuniversity Sport' website under the section “Where are they now”, to provide updated information on Canadian Interuniversity Sport student-athletes.
• Personal information of student-athletes, such as their name, address and telephone number may be disclosed from time to time to persons and organizations involved in the recruitment and drafting of athletes.
• Canadian Interuniversity Sport also occasionally discloses personal information of student-athletes to other organizations or companies that provide information or sponsor events likely to be of interest to student-athletes.
• Canadian Interuniversity Sport publishes, for each Canadian Interuniversity Sport sporting event, programs in which are listed the names, sporting event, university, hometown, date of birth, height, weight and other personal statistics of student-athletes, as well as the date and time of the event in which he or she is participating.
• Canadian Interuniversity Sport discloses personal information of student- athletes and other individuals who have expressed an interest in Canadian Interuniversity Sport or have participated in an event sponsored or organized by Canadian Interuniversity Sport to third party service providers who process information on Canadian Interuniversity Sport' behalf. Canadian Interuniversity Sport requires all such service providers to agree to handle personal information in accordance with applicable laws.
22.214.171.124 On Canadian Interuniversity Sport' Student-Athlete Acknowledgement Form, student-athletes have the opportunity to opt out of the disclosure and use of their personal information for the purposes outlined above (except for the purpose of administering the Canadian Interuniversity Sport Doping Control Program). In addition, a student-athlete may withdraw consent at any time by contacting the Canadian Interuniversity Sport' Privacy Officer. Canadian Interuniversity Sport takes careful steps to ensure it complies with individuals' wishes with respect to disclosure and use of their personal information. Canadian Interuniversity Sport will explain the consequences of withdrawing consent.
126.96.36.199 Other than as outlined here, and as permitted or required by law, Canadian Interuniversity Sport does not disclose personal information of student-athletes or of any other individual who has expressed an interest in Canadian Interuniversity Sport or has participated in an event sponsored or organized by Canadian Interuniversity Sport, unless it has that person's consent.
Canadian Interuniversity Sport uses personal information only with the consent of the individual, except as otherwise permitted or required by law. When a student-athlete or other individual registers for a Canadian Interuniversity Sport Event or otherwise provides Canadian Interuniversity Sport with personal information, the individual will be given an opportunity to opt out of receiving further information from Canadian Interuniversity Sport or from any third parties. In addition, an individual may withdraw his or her consent to the use of personal information for any purpose at any time by contacting Canadian Interuniversity Sport at the address above. Canadian Interuniversity Sport will explain the consequences of withdrawing consent.
Canadian Interuniversity Sport provides information and some services via its website (the “Site”). By using the Site, users agree that information may be collected, used and disclosed in accordance with this Policy.
188.8.131.52 Non-Personal Information
As is typical with many websites, the Site automatically collects certain non-personal information regarding website users, such as the date and time a user linked to the Site. The Site also collects non-personal data which is used for system administration purposes and to update the Site.
184.108.40.206 Forms, email, etc.
Individuals may provide Canadian Interuniversity Sport with personal information when completing forms or contacting Canadian Interuniversity Sport via email. Once Canadian Interuniversity Sport receives such information via email or Canadian Interuniversity Sport' website, the information is stored in a secure environment. Users' personal information will not be used or disclosed unless permitted by law or the user's consent obtained.
The Site contains links to other third party websites, such as those of other sport associations and federations. These links are provided for the convenience of users. Canadian Interuniversity Sport has no responsibility or liability for or control over those websites or their collection, use and disclosure of personal information.
220.127.116.11 Third Party Ad Server
Canadian Interuniversity Sport uses a third party to serve the advertisements that users see on the pages of its website. If users would like to know more about the information gathering practices and "opt-out" procedures of our third party ad server, please consult the following website: www.doubleclick.net/privacy_ policy /
Canadian Interuniversity Sport seeks to ensure that the personal information it uses is accurate and up to date. Please assist us by advising Canadian Interuniversity Sport' Privacy Officer of any inaccuracies you notice so that we may make appropriate corrections.
80.30.10 LIMITING RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Canadian Interuniversity Sport retains personal information as long as it is needed for the purpose for which it was collected and in order to meet legal and regulatory requirements.
Canadian Interuniversity Sport protects personal information against such risks as loss or theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, modification and destruction by using appropriate security measures. Canadian Interuniversity Sport's employees with access to personal information are required to respect the confidentiality of that information pursuant to their employment agreement with Canadian Interuniversity Sport. Employees also participate in privacy training. Canadian Interuniversity Sport implements methods of protecting personal information that include limiting access to the information, restricting access to offices where information is held and technological measures such as passwords.
An individual may request access to the personal information held about him or her at any time by contacting the Privacy Officer at 1-613-562-5670, ext. 24. Canadian Interuniversity Sport will endeavour to respond to any such request as quickly as possible and, in any event, within the legally required time periods. Subject to certain exceptions and limitations prescribed by law, an individual will be given access to any personal information Canadian Interuniversity Sport holds about the individual. Canadian Interuniversity Sport will correct or amend personal information that is shown to be incomplete or inaccurate.
Questions and Complaints
For further information about this Policy or the practices of CIS related to personal information, or to make a complaint, please contact CIS' Privacy Officer at 1-613-562-5670, ext. 24. CIS will investigate all complaints and take appropriate action as a result of such investigation.