OUA Championship Day 3: More records set in the pool
ST. CATHARINES, Ont. - The Western Mustangs and Toronto Varsity
Blues flexed their muscles once again in the pool at Day 3 of the
2010 OUA Swimming Championships at the Eleanor Misener Aquatic
Centre at Brock University.
Student-athletes from both schools won 23 of a possible 30 medals on Saturday, setting up an exciting finish to the OUA championship on Sunday afternoon.
Canadian Olympian Colin Russell (Burlington, Ont.) set yet another OUA record, winning the men's 100m freestyle in a time of 49.17. It was a Toronto sweep of the podium, with Russell's teammates Martyn Forde (Barbados) and Taylor Bond (Westmount, Que.) winning silver and bronze. On Friday, Russell set a new OUA standard in the men's 200m freestyle and men's 4x100m medley relay. Russell holds Canadian records in both the 100m and 200m freestyle and 4x100m and 4x200m free relays. He represented Canada at the Beijing Olympics in 2008.
Alex Cooper, Lenore Chesworth, Hayley Nell and Brittany Cooper of the Mustangs swam the women's 4x200m freestyle relay in OUA record time of 8:13.47. All four are from London, Ont. Nell successfully defended her title in the women's 100m freestyle, winning in a time of 55.84. Sasha Theron (Mississauga, Ont.) of the Varsity Blues and Chantique Payne (Brantford, Ont.) of the Guelph Gryphons placed second and third, respectively. Nell was the winner of the women's 200m freestyle on Friday.
In the women's 400m freestyle, Heather Maitland (Toronto) of the Varsity Blues dethroned defending champion Cooper of the Mustangs, winning in a time of 4:14.37. Cooper took silver, while Maitland's teammate, Pamela Ruksys (Kingston, Ont.), earned bronze.
First-year swimmer Julien Sauvage (Bedarrides, France) of the Mustangs won the men's 400m freestyle in a time of 3:54.71, over one second ahead of Zack Chetrat (Oakville, Ont.) of the Varsity Blues. Chetrat's teammate, Curtis Samuel (Oakville, Ont.) took the bronze.
Another first-year Western swimmer, Jennifer Trung (Maple, Ont.), took gold in the women's 100m backstroke, just ahead of defending champion Andrea Jurenovskis (Timmins, Ont.) of the Varsity Blues. Heather Martin (Etobicoke, Ont.) of the Mustangs was third. Trung won the women's 50m backstroke earlier in the meet.
Andrew Ford (Guelph, Ont.) of the Gryphons spoiled the Toronto-Western party, at least for one race, winning the men's 100m backstroke in a time of 55.10. Cam Cummings (Oakville, Ont.) of the Varsity Blues and first-year swimmer Trevor Nicholas (Brampton, Ont.) of the Mustangs took silver and bronze, respectively. Ford won the men's 200m individual medley on Friday.
First-year swimmer Paulyne Kilty (Newmarket, Ont.) of the Mustangs dethroned Whitney Rich (Dorchester, Ont.) of the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks in the women's 200m breaststroke, winning in a time of 2:34.22. Bronwyn Kemp (Waterloo, Ont.) of the Waterloo Warriors won bronze. It was a Western double-play as Bryn Jones (Newmarket, Ont.) won gold in the men's 200m breaststroke in a time of 2:15.39. Marco Monaco (Oakville, Ont.) of the Varsity Blues and Matthew Stephenson (Brantford, Ont.) of the Gryphons placed second and third, respectively. Jones won the men's 100m breaststroke on Friday.
In the men's 4x200m freestyle relay, the Varsity Blues team of Bond, Andy Townsend (Toronto), Samuel and Chetrat won in a time of 8:13.47.
The OUA swimming championships conclude on Sunday beginning at 12 p.m.
COMPLETE REAL-TIME RESULTS: www.brocku.ca/brockswimming/results/oua2010/
RESULTS - DAY 3
Women's 400m Freestyle
1. Heather Maitland (Toronto) 4:14.37
2. Brittany Cooper (Western) 4:17.72
3. Pamela Ruksys (Toronto) 4:18.72
Men's 400m Freestyle
1. Julien Sauvage (Western) 3:54.71
2. Zack Chetrat (Toronto) 3:55.79
3. Curtis Samuel (Toronto) 3:57.10
Women's 100m Backstroke
1. Jennifer Trung (Western) 1:02.17
2. Andrea Jurenovskis (Toronto) 1:02.58
3. Heather Martin (Western) 1:03.81
Men's 100m Backstroke
1. Andrew Ford (Guelph) 55.10
2. Cam Cummings (Toronto) 55.18
3. Trevor Nicholas (Western) 55.74
Women's 100m Freestyle
1. Hayley Nell (Western) 55.84
2. Sasha Theron (Toronto) 56.51
3. Chantique Payne (Guelph) 56.73
Men's 100m Freestyle
1. Colin Russell (Toronto) 49.17
2. Martyn Forde (Toronto) 50.49
3. Taylor Bond (Toronto) 51.54
Women's 200m Breaststroke
1. Paulyne Kilty (Western) 2:34.22
2. Whitney Rich (Laurier) 2:34.75
3. Bronwyn Kemp (Waterloo) 2:37.55
Men's 200m Breaststroke
1. Bryn Jones (Western) 2:15.39
2. Marco Monaco (Toronto) 2:16.22
3. Matthew Stephenson (Guelph) 2:17.81
Women's 4x200m Freestyle Relay
1. Alex Cooper, Lenore Chesworth, Hayley Nell, Brittany Cooper (Western) 8:13.47
2. Heather Maitland, Andrea Jurenovskis, Julia Boron, Pamela Ruksys (Toronto) 8:16.12
3. Lindsay Charles, Rachael McKay, Jessica MacKenzie, Louisa Yee Wai Chan (McMaster) 8:36.17
Men's 4x200m Freestyle Relay
1. Taylor Bond, Andy Townsend, Curtis Samuel, Zack Chetrat (Toronto) 7:30.52
2. Robert Irvine, Hans Fracke, Adam Best, Sean Dawson (Ottawa) 7:33.01
3. Adam Gomba, Julien Sauvage, Chris Bento, David Hatch (Western) 7:33.43
OUA SWIMMING CHAMPIONSHIPS SCHEDULE
Eleanor Misener Aquatic Centre, Walker Complex, Brock University
Sunday, February 7
Graduate Parade: 11:45 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Finals: 12 p.m. to 3 p.m.
W/M - 4x50m Medley Relay
W/M - 400m Individual Medley
W/M - 50m Freestyle
W/M - 200m Backstroke Final
W/M - 50m Breaststroke
W/M - 200m Butterfly Final
W/M - 4x100m Freestyle Relay
- OUA -